Industry News | July 11, 2012
Baskin-Robbins Surveys Frozen Treat Preferences
With National Ice Cream Month in full swing, Baskin-Robbins commissioned an independent survey of 1,000 U.S. respondents to get the scoop on how Americans plan to enjoy ice cream this summer. According to the survey, 82 percent of Americans plan to enjoy ice cream during National Ice Cream Month this year.
“National Ice Cream Month is a great time to celebrate the special place ice cream has in our lives and to enjoy your favorite flavor with friends and family,” says Dan Wheeler, Baskin-Robbins’ U.S. vice president of brand and field marketing. “We’re excited to share some insights into America’s ice cream preferences from our survey, and to give one of our fans $260 in Baskin-Robbins gift cards through the Baskin-Robbins National Ice Cream Day Twitter Sweepstakes.”
We All Scream for Ice Cream
- Seventy-seven percent of respondents said they eat ice cream at least once a month, 42 percent said they eat ice cream at least once a week, and 5 percent said they eat ice cream every day.
- More than 50 percent of Americans would suffer through a brain freeze, the brief headache that results from eating frozen treats too quickly, to enjoy their favorite ice cream.
Cup or Cone?
- Seventy percent of respondents prefer to eat ice cream in a cup rather than on a cone.
- More than 60 percent of Americans prefer hard scoop ice cream to soft serve.
What Takes the (Ice Cream) Cake?
- Ice cream cake "took the cake" when it came to shared desserts, with 32 percent of respondents choosing it as the best option for summer parties over other choices such as brownies, pies, or cookies.
- Twenty-eight percent of Americans said cake was the best food to pair with ice cream, followed by 27 percent for brownies. Four percent of respondents said French fries made the best food and ice cream pairing.
Finding Out the Flavor Favorites
- Vanilla and Chocolate were tied for respondents’ favorite ice cream flavor, followed by Cookies n’ Cream and Mint Chocolate Chip.
- Hot fudge topped the list for favorite ice cream topping, followed by caramel sauce and chopped nuts.
Don’t Forget the Napkins
Regardless of the form in which it’s consumed, more than 25 percent of respondents said their children are either covered in ice cream or leave half of it on the floor while eating it, while 20 percent said their kids are "clean as a whistle” while eating ice cream.
National Ice Cream Day Twitter Sweepstakes
To help celebrate National Ice Cream Day, Baskin-Robbins is holding a Twitter sweepstakes on Sunday, July 15, to give ice cream lovers a chance to win $260 in Baskin-Robbins gift cards, enough to keep the ice cream scoops flowing for a year. On that day, followers of @BaskinRobbins who Tweet their favorite Baskin-Robbins ice cream flavor using the special hashtag #BRflavors will be entered for the chance to win.
Food & Beverage
Thank you for signing up to receive QSR's flagship e-newsletter, A.M. Jolt. To help us better serve the information needs of our audience, please complete the information below.
In addition to A.M. Jolt, we also offer the following e-newsletters and communications. Please mark those you would like to receive.
- Business Services
- Cleaning & Sanitation
- Computer Systems/Software
- Dispensing Equipment
- Disposables, Packaging, Plastics
- Equipment Installation/Repair
- Financial Products/Services
- Food Products
- Franchise Opportunities
- Kitchen Equipment
- Safety Services/Products
- Security Systems