Industry News | April 2, 2012
BK Serves Up Fresh Menu, Celebrity Ad Campaign
Exciting things are happening at Burger King restaurants nationwide. The Whopper sandwich is sharing the spotlight on the Burger King menu as the brand today unwraps its broadest expansion of food offerings in its 58-year history.
Guests across the country can enjoy a wider range of freshly-prepared, great-tasting food, in a variety of better-for-you options. More than a dozen new best-in-class BK menu items are being introduced, including Garden Fresh Salads, Snack Wraps, Crispy Chicken Strips, Real Fruit Smoothies, and Frappés, all made-to-order with fresh new flavors that live up to the brand’s signature great taste.
“We spent the last year analyzing every aspect of our business to better understand what our guests expect from the Burger King dining experience,” says Steve Wiborg, president, North America, Burger King Corp. “We found that consumers wanted a broader range of menu options to complement our signature fire-grilled burgers. This expanded menu gives consumers more choices and more reasons to visit Burger King restaurants.”
The new menu items include:
- Garden Fresh Salads: BLT, Apple and Cranberry, or classic Caesar Salad varieties are made fresh-to-order, premium ingredients and topped with a choice of Tendercrisp of Tendergrill chicken (suggested retail price starts at $4.99).
- Chicken Snack Wraps: Honey Mustard Crispy Chicken Snack Wrap and the Ranch Crispy Chicken Snack Wrap are flavorful snack options with fewer than 400 calories each (suggested retail price of $1.59).
- Real Fruit Smoothies: Tropical Mango and Strawberry Banana smoothies are made with low-fat yogurt, real fruit, and juices, providing a full serving of fruit (suggested retail price of $2.29).
- Frappés: Mocha and Caramel flavors are made-to-order with a hint of coffee and ice, topped with whipped topping and a swirl of fudge or caramel (suggested retail price of $2.29).
- Crispy Chicken Strips: Premium Crispy Chicken Strips are made with white meat tenderloin chicken, marinated and lightly battered in seasoned home-style breading, served in three- or five-piece servings and perfect for dipping in one of the classic or bold new sauces, such as new Kung Pao and Roasted Jalapeño Barbecue sauces (suggested retail price starts at $2.99).
“Over the past year, we developed and tested more than two dozen menu items,” Wiborg says. “After extensive consumer testing in both our test kitchens and at restaurants around the country, our consumers chose these as their favorites. From there we worked hard to make sure these new items are truly the best of what our brand has to offer.”
The new best-in-class menu items deserve the star treatment and the company enlisted a diverse cast of A-list celebrities representing the many faces of the American melting pot.
Stars kicking off the national advertising campaign include: David Beckham, Mary J. Blige, Salma Hayek, Jay Leno, Steven Tyler, and Sofia Vergara. The famous faces showcase the newest menu items in a variety of fun, lighthearted scenes taking place at their favorite BK restaurant.
“This is an exciting time for Burger King and that’s why we’re getting the word out in a big way,” says Alex Macedo, BKC’s senior vice president, North America marketing. “Our star-studded ads will generate awareness and buzz for the brand and highlight our new food in unique and refreshing ways.”
The various spots showcase each celebrity at their best:
- Jay Leno kicks off the campaign and finds his own drive-thru lane to showcase the menu lineup.
- David Beckham heats up the front counter when he orders a cool, healthy Real Fruit Smoothie.
- Mary J. Blige sings her heart out and hits a high note for Crispy Chicken Snack Wraps.
- Steven Tyler gets things rockin’ at BK with hot and crispy Crispy Chicken Strips.
- Salma Hayek plays a diverse cast of BK customers, ordering Garden Fresh Salads, Crispy Chicken Snack Wraps and Crispy Chicken Strips, while showing off her acting chops in English and Spanish language ads.
- Sofia Vergara dons a BK uniform and spices up the kitchen, making a Garden Fresh Salad and Real Fruit Smoothie in Spanish language ads.
“With their latest initiatives, Burger King is showing commitment to areas that I'm passionate about, such as supporting charities, helping children and improving the healthier eating options,” David Beckham says. “I am happy to help the brand launch its first smoothie platform, which is a great addition to any diet.”
The series of ads are part of a national, multi-platform marketing campaign that will also extend across social media and digital applications.
Additionally, the brand will deploy sampling trucks across the country and invite everyone to try out the new menu items at local events in communities nationwide. Consumers can track the trucks beginning April 18th on www.bk.com.
Guests visiting BK restaurants to try the new items or their favorite BK classics will find enhancements at every location. From new easy-to-navigate digital menu boards in the dining room and streamlined merchandising at the drive-thr, to new employee uniforms and crisp, new packaging, these elements will create an even better dining experience
“We are energized by the positive momentum of our brand and believe these enhancements to the Burger King dining experience will give guests more reasons to come back,” Wiborg adds. “We invite guests to come on in and check out our new menu additions, enhanced restaurant look, and stick with us as we continue to reinvigorate our brand.”
Food & Beverage
Thank you for signing up to receive QSR's flagship e-newsletter, A.M. Jolt. To help us better serve the information needs of our audience, please complete the information below.
In addition to A.M. Jolt, we also offer the following e-newsletters and communications. Please mark those you would like to receive.
- Business Services
- Cleaning & Sanitation
- Computer Systems/Software
- Dispensing Equipment
- Disposables, Packaging, Plastics
- Equipment Installation/Repair
- Financial Products/Services
- Food Products
- Franchise Opportunities
- Kitchen Equipment
- Safety Services/Products
- Security Systems