Industry News | October 13, 2012
Bojangles' Boasts Top Five in Zagat’s Survey
Bojangles’, a Southern culinary staple known for its world-famous chicken, made-from-scratch buttermilk biscuits, and Legendary Iced Tea, recently ranked in the top five in the large chain restaurant category for food in Zagat’s 2012 Survey of Favorite Fast-Food chains. Zagat is the leading global restaurant review organization and its annual survey was based on more than 10,500 diners in categories such as taste, décor, and services.
Food & Beverage
Move Over 4-Leggers, 2-Leggers Coming In!
Just ran across some surprising breakfast info and thought it was worth sharing, then watching where it goes. Although McDonald’s has offered its Southern Style Chicken Biscuit on the breakfast menu for several years now, and of course, Chick-fil-A menus chicken at breakfast, it came as a surprise to this writer that both chicken and turkey have gained significant ground on the breakfast menu. It seemed worthy of further investigation.
It turns out that both turkey and chicken have been getting more popular as a component of the morning meal. In a report published earlier this year, Technomic found that 24% of consumers surveyed said they’ve been eating turkey at breakfast more often than they had two years before, while 11% had been eating more chicken.
I dug further. Technomic also found that 70% of those saying their poultry consumption had risen mentioned a desire to eat more healthfully was the motivator behind their choices.
Okay, so chicken or turkey in the morning. But where were these people getting their wake-up proteins? Were they all firing up their broilers in the morning? Seemed unlikely.
So were they were going to McDonald’s or Chick-fil-A? Could be, but I discovered there are many operators offering chicken or turkey items in the a.m., I just hadn’t had my radar tuned in right.
Some of the options hew closely to the classics, with bacon or sausage made from chicken or turkey:
- Energy Breakfast Sandwich (Energy Kitchen) uses five egg whites with low-fat American cheese and turkey bacon on a honey whole-wheat English muffin.
- Power Panini Thin with Chicken Apple Sausage (Corner Bakery) is made with scrambled eggs or egg whites, chicken apple sausage, and Parmesan and Cheddar cheeses on thinly sliced whole-grain harvest toast.
- Santa Fe Egg Wrap (Einstein Bros Bagels) includes eggs, turkey sausage with ancho lime salsa, jalapeño schmear and pepper jack cheese.
Others use the more familiar forms of the poultry:
- Power Wrap (First Watch) is made with fluffy egg whites, turkey, spinach, house-roasted crimini mushrooms and Swiss in a sun-dried tomato basil tortilla.
- 2 Egg & Cheddar Sandwich with Roasted Turkey (Au Bon Pain) has a self-explanatory name and is served on a choice of breads.
- Breakfast Burrito with Chicken (Qdoba) is a flour or whole-wheat tortilla filled with grilled chicken, eggs, potatoes, choice of sauces and salsas, and optional shredded cheese or sour cream.
Did you note something in common in all those descriptions? Each one of them includes eggs!
Now I know what you’re thinking: this is a blog for the American Egg Board, so of course those items all include eggs. But foodservice operators are pretty savvy about the American consumer and they don’t include eggs just for fun. Eggs are a tasty, nutrient dense protein and just happen to be delicious.
Oh, by the way, are there eggs on the breakfast sandwiches you normally order? Uh huh. I thought so.
For more, visit www.AEB.org