Industry News | June 30, 2011
Dunkin' Wants You to Beat the Heat
This summer, Dunkin' Donuts is once again celebrating the flavorful fun of "Mixology" by adding to its menu an exciting array of new and refreshing Coolatta flavor mixes. The Coolatta drink flavor combinations have expanded with the recent introduction of Dunkin' Donuts' new Cherry-flavored Captain America Coolatta, which offers more variety and endless combinations.
Some of the favorite pairings include: Strawberry & Tropicana Orange, Coffee & Mocha, Tropicana Orange & Vanilla Bean, Cherry-flavored Captain America & Strawberry, Tropicana Orange & Blue Raspberry, and other great flavor combinations.
Throughout July, Dunkin' Donuts is giving people who follow the brand on Twitter (@DunkinDonuts) a fun way to celebrate Mixology with "Dunkin' Donuts' Frozen Fridays." Each Friday in July, beginning July 1, Dunkin' Donuts will invite people to submit their recommendations for unofficial names for one of the new Coolatta frozen slush drink mixes.
Anyone who suggests a "cool" nickname using hashtag #DDMIX is eligible for a chance to win a $50 Dunkin' Donuts Card. Dunkin' Donuts will serve up a new flavor combination for consideration each Friday, with one winner per week to be selected by the Dunkin' Donuts social media team.
So how do you "mix" in a frozen beverage like a Coolatta drink or iced coffee in your summer day to stay cool? To celebrate Mixology and the beginning of summer, Dunkin' Donuts recently conducted a survey of 500 Americans to determine the role frozen beverages play in keeping people refreshed and running. According to the survey, Americans are definitely intending to make frozen beverages a bigger part of their budget, as 93 percent of respondents plan to spend more on frozen beverages this summer. Additional findings include:
- One cup is just not enough. Only a third (33 percent) of respondents drink just one frozen beverage to keep cool, whereas two-thirds (67 percent) claim they need more than one frozen beverage to cool down. Forty-five percent said they drink two frozen beverages to feel cool, 12 percent said they drink three, and 10 percent said they drink at least four.
- The flavor of beverages has an effect on the "cool" factor. Thirty-seven percent of respondents said coffee is the frozen beverage flavor they prefer to help them keep cool, with vanilla second at 29 percent. The next most popular flavors are strawberry (16 percent), orange (10 percent), and blue raspberry (8 percent).
- Is afternoon the "coolest" part of the day? The early afternoon is the most popular time to enjoy a frozen beverage in summer, as 66 percent of respondents prefer drinking frozen beverages between 12 pm and 3 pm.
- Where is the absolute worst place to be without a frozen beverage? Seventy-five percent said that being stuck in a car in traffic is the worst, with a subway car / commuter train a distant second at 13 percent.
"As our survey shows, people rely on iced coffee and frozen beverages like our Coolatta frozen slush drinks to stay refreshed, get that extra boost to keep themselves running at work and play, and stay cool no matter how hot the temperature," says John Costello, chief global marketing and innovation officer at Dunkin' Brands. "With our new Coolatta flavor mixes, inspired by cool and creative combinations that are favorites with many of our guests, we continue to distinguish Dunkin' Donuts as the place to beat the heat with the best variety of icy cold beverages."
Food & Beverage
- Business Services
- Cleaning & Sanitation
- Computer Systems/Software
- Dispensing Equipment
- Disposables, Packaging, Plastics
- Equipment Installation/Repair
- Financial Products/Services
- Food Products
- Franchise Opportunities
- Kitchen Equipment
- Safety Services/Products
- Security Systems