Industry News | June 16, 2013
First Data Debuts Next Phase of Mobile Payment Solution
First Data Corporation, a global leader in electronic commerce and payment processing, introduced the next phase of Pogo, which first launched in 2012 as a mobile payment solution for the small business and emerging merchant community in the U.S.
First Data’s Pogo is a business-grade solution that enables credit, signature debit, and cash acceptance anywhere in the U.S. the merchant has wireless coverage.
Pogo works by allowing a merchant to combine a Web-enabled smartphone or tablet with a mobile application and secure mobile card reader to create a point-of-sale (POS) device that leverages First Data’s technology, infrastructure, and broad distribution channel, including relationships with financial institutions and others.
According to the Aite Group, 50 percent of merchants claim they would not shift to a non-bank service provider, suggesting many merchants prefer working with a trusted bank partner for their end-to-end financial needs.
First Data is collaborating with key financial institutions, including First American Bank, Mutual of Omaha Bank, Associated Bank, First Bank, IBC Bank, BancorpSouth, Extraco Banks, Mountain America Credit Union, and many others, to provide a comprehensive small business solution that includes the Pogo solution.
Merchants can simply apply online for the Pogo solution through these banks’ unique websites, while some banks are also looking at alternative ways for their customers to sign up.
“First Data is powering universal commerce by providing merchants a full range of solutions that help grow their business, whether today with Pogo as a logical first step, or tomorrow as they move up to a more multifunctional POS solution,” says Bruce Dragt, senior vice president of First Data Retail and Alliance Services. “Many banks and other partners are now incorporating Pogo into their suite of business solutions that they can offer small business customers when they are signing up for new bank services such as checking accounts.”
First Data has a history of developing solutions in the mobile POS space, with more than 40,000 mobile POS users.
In 2009, First Data launched a mobile card acceptance browser for merchants to accept payments using their smartphones and, in 2011, launched the First Data Mobile Paysolution, which is a mobile application and device designed for merchants with more enhanced needs.
In 2013, First Data incorporated several key elements into the Pogo solution specifically for new and emerging small merchants and continues to drive toward setting a new standard in the industry:
- World-class security, including encryption the moment the card is swiped, to ensure peace of mind and risk mitigation
- 24/7 phone, e-mail, Web portal, and chat support from First Data payment experts
- Acceptance of credit, signature debit, and cash payments
- Fast funding directly into a merchant’s bank account, in certain instances by next business day
- Access to a full suite of payment tools designed to meet merchant needs now and as their business grows
- Durable mobile card reader providing reliable swipes
- Item lists with photos, descriptions, and barcode scanning for fast checkouts
- Electronic receipts with e-mail and text options;
- Easy account management through a comprehensive online tool offering helpful user guides, funding alerts, demos, how-to videos, and frequently asked questions
- Online reporting
- Simple, affordable pricing
- Easy and fast sign-up process
Food & Beverage
Thank you for signing up to receive QSR's flagship e-newsletter, A.M. Jolt. To help us better serve the information needs of our audience, please complete the information below.
In addition to A.M. Jolt, we also offer the following e-newsletters and communications. Please mark those you would like to receive.
- Business Services
- Cleaning & Sanitation
- Computer Systems/Software
- Dispensing Equipment
- Disposables, Packaging, Plastics
- Equipment Installation/Repair
- Financial Products/Services
- Food Products
- Franchise Opportunities
- Kitchen Equipment
- Safety Services/Products
- Security Systems