Industry News | February 22, 2013
IFMA Recognizes Outstanding Limited-Service Brands
For the third consecutive year, The International Foodservice Manufacturers Association (IFMA) recognizes four outstanding foodservice chain operators through the COEX Innovation Awards.
The winners will receive their awards during IFMA’s Chain Operators EXchange (COEX), March 3–6, 2013, at The Red Rock Resort in Las Vegas.
COEX Innovation Awards recognize regional and national chain companies that are shaping the industry through innovation in culinary, operations, marketing, and service.
National and regional chains were nominated and voted on by IFMA members, which include the world’s most prestigious foodservice manufacturers.
“The annual COEX Innovation Awards allow us to honor pioneering chain operators that make foodservice the exciting industry it is today,” says Larry Oberkfell, president and CEO, IFMA. “This year, we received more nominations than ever before, which speak volumes about the inventive work being done by the chain operator community.”
2013 COEX Innovation winners are:
- Marketing/Service, National Chain: Wendy’s International—Wendy’s is in the midst of a comprehensive transformation to contemporize the brand and improve the customer experience. The company is connecting with consumers in new and innovative ways, with bold restaurant designs, fresh product innovation, more engaging advertising, and digital media advancements, including a mobile app that allows customers to personalize meals based on the amount of calories they choose. The brand transformation will soon extend to the introduction of a new, contemporary logo.
- Marketing/Service, Regional Chain: Smashburger— Smashburger is a fast-casual restaurant designed to be every city's favorite place for burgers. No two Smashburger menus are alike, as it creates special burgers using local ingredients for each market it serves. In 2012, it took this strategy to a new level with locally sourced craft beers. Smashburger collaborated with small, resident brewers to create unique burger and beer pairings specific to individual markets.
- Culinary/Operations, National Chain: Panera Bread—Panera is a driving force in the quick-casual segment. A forerunner in the bakery-cafe space, the company is focused on improving customer experience and identifying unique culinary experiences to bring to its consumer base. In addition, Panera is a leader in the “pay what you can” restaurant model, which raises the level of awareness about food insecurity in the U.S. and serves as a catalyst for change in communities.
- Culinary/Operations, Regional Chain: Noodles & Company—Noodles & Company has a broad-based pasta menu with a variety of cuisines available in a multitude of formats. The addition of new appetizers, sandwiches, and alternative proteins expand its already robust menu offerings, allowing for more flavors, textures, and daypart choices. The success of Noodles & Company’s culinary innovations is evident in its growth. With nearly 330 units and climbing, it is eclipsing store growth of 10 percent, even in difficult economic times.
The 2013 COEX Innovation Awards are sponsored by Sargento Foods, Inc. and Surlean Foods.
Food & Beverage
Thank you for signing up to receive QSR's flagship e-newsletter, A.M. Jolt. To help us better serve the information needs of our audience, please complete the information below.
In addition to A.M. Jolt, we also offer the following e-newsletters and communications. Please mark those you would like to receive.
- Business Services
- Cleaning & Sanitation
- Computer Systems/Software
- Dispensing Equipment
- Disposables, Packaging, Plastics
- Equipment Installation/Repair
- Financial Products/Services
- Food Products
- Franchise Opportunities
- Kitchen Equipment
- Safety Services/Products
- Security Systems