Industry News | April 30, 2002
McDonald's Launches World's First 'Town Center' Restaurant
The second largest restaurant in the McDonald's U.S. system, it was created to resemble a town center with an outdoor park and a raised stage. The restaurant makes extensive use of interactive "edu-tainment" activities designed for both fun and learning.
The restaurant is located in Easton Town Center, an urban retail and entertainment destination. "The developers of Easton challenged us to create a truly unique family destination," said Jeff Roberts, Senior Operations Consultant. "We set out to build more than a fun place, we really wanted to create an environment that would stimulate imagination and learning."
The 11,500 square foot restaurant has 210 seats. It is divided into several zones, including:
* Families/Kids Area with an interactive mini McDonald's and a park for picnics, complete with giant soft play equipment shaped like Happy Meal items - a McDonald's first
* Tweens Area for young teens that includes a karaoke booth, also a first, and game tables
* Adults Area with living-room style furniture and high-back booths. The front counter is designed to resemble the original 1950s McDonald's. Additionally, there is a merchandise area where customers can purchase McDonald's apparel and souvenirs. A McTreat Center is near the front entrance with a walk-up order window for easy street access.
A variety of McDonald's ice cream treats and desserts, cookies, brownies and pastries, as well as hot and cold drinks, are available. The McTreat Center will feature another McDonald's first - Lavazza specialty coffee, imported from Italy. "Columbus is a well known test market, and we're very proud to have developed this unique family destination here," Roberts said. According to McDonald's, the town center concept may be used elsewhere in the future if it is well received in Columbus.
"From its dynamic store exterior to the many activities for children and teens inside the restaurant, we anticipate a lot of energy emanating from our new McDonald's," said Yaromir Steiner, President, Steiner + Associates and co- developer of Easton Town Center.
Food & Beverage
- Business Services
- Cleaning & Sanitation
- Computer Systems/Software
- Dispensing Equipment
- Disposables, Packaging, Plastics
- Equipment Installation/Repair
- Financial Products/Services
- Food Products
- Franchise Opportunities
- Kitchen Equipment
- Safety Services/Products
- Security Systems