Industry News | February 28, 2013
Papa Murphy's Sees a Big Year in 2012
Papa Murphy’s, the world’s largest take-and-bake pizza company, continued its unparalleled growth in 2012. In addition to expanding its national footprint to more than 1,325 locations, Papa Murphy’s achieved 25 record sales weeks during the year.
The company’s two-year sales comp grew nearly 9 percent, its biggest two-year sales comp since 2007–2009.
“Our customers voted Papa Murphy’s as their No. 1 pizza in four different independent national surveys in 2012,” says Ken Calwell, CEO of Papa Murphy’s. “Customers today are demanding a higher level of freshness and premium-quality ingredients than ever before.
“At Papa Murphy’s, we come in extra early each morning in all of our 1,350 stores and make the pizza dough fresh, grate the 100 percent Mozzarella cheese—the old-fashioned way—and we slice our fresh vegetables,” he adds. “We hand each of our customers the freshest, highest-quality pizza for them to take home and bake, and then serve to their family hot and fresh out of their oven. No other national pizza chain invests in each of these extra steps to ensure the freshness, premium-quality taste of every pizza we create and serve.”
Other 2012 highlights include:
- For the third consecutive year, customers voting in Zagat’s Fast Food Survey ranked Papa Murphy’s “#1 Rated Pizza Chain” in the U.S. Additionally, the chain landed on top of other national surveys by NPD Crest and Sandelman & Associates.
- The weeks that included the Super Bowl and Halloween, the two biggest sales weeks in Papa Murphy’s 31-year history, were reached through the execution and high standards of Papa Murphy’s franchise owners, crewmembers, and vendor partners.
- Franchising agreements signed last year equate to more than 190 future Papa Murphy’s stores. By the end of 2012, the company reached more than 550 franchise partners across 37 states and Canada. Additionally, Papa Murphy’s signed a Master Franchise Agreement with MAM Foodco LLC to open 100 locations throughout the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC), beginning in Dubai early this year.
- As an American Cancer Society Relay For Life National Corporate Team, Papa Murphy’s employees, franchise owners, crewmembers, and vendor partners formed 64 relay teams nationwide and raised nearly $100,000 to save lives and create a world with less cancer and more birthdays. Additionally, as part of Papa Murphy’s 2012 International Convention, more than 800 attendees joined hearts and hands to make a significant difference in the lives of four deserving Phoenix, Arizona–area families. The company partnered with the society of St. Vincent de Paul and put smiles back on the faces of the families through home interior and exterior repairing, remodeling, and decorating.
In 2013, Papa Murphy’s is seeking franchisee candidates to further develop the company’s national presence.
“Unlike the other national pizza chains, Papa Murphy’s has no freezers, no frozen dough, no delivery, and no delivery bags with reheating elements in them,” Calwell says. “Papa Murphy’s pizza is created right in front of the customer with the freshest ingredients, so it can be baked hot and bubbly in the customer’s own oven and enjoyed by their family.”
The average cost to open a Papa Murphy’s is approximately $216,430–$381,220, a lower initial investment than most chains in the quick-service industry.
Food & Beverage
Thank you for signing up to receive QSR's flagship e-newsletter, A.M. Jolt. To help us better serve the information needs of our audience, please complete the information below.
In addition to A.M. Jolt, we also offer the following e-newsletters and communications. Please mark those you would like to receive.
- Business Services
- Cleaning & Sanitation
- Computer Systems/Software
- Dispensing Equipment
- Disposables, Packaging, Plastics
- Equipment Installation/Repair
- Financial Products/Services
- Food Products
- Franchise Opportunities
- Kitchen Equipment
- Safety Services/Products
- Security Systems