Industry News | November 13, 2012
Popeyes Brings Back Popular Holiday Dish, Cajun Turkey
Popeyes Louisiana Kitchen, a division of AFC Enterprises, announced the return of its holiday menu must-have, Cajun Turkey, to give guests’ dinner tables some Louisiana flare.
Popeyes Cajun Style Turkeys, approximately 9–11 pounds, are infused with a unique blend of Louisiana seasonings then flash-fried, creating a unique, crispy coating.
Roasting finishes out the process and leaves the turkey crispy on the outside while remaining succulent and flavorful on the inside.
The once-a-year, limited-time offer is available at participating restaurants through December, or until supplies last.
Popeyes also has a Next Day Cajun Turkey Recipe to keep the family feasting for another meal or two.
"The holiday season always seems to come and go too quickly," says Marianna Magee, brand marketing and innovation manager. "This year, Popeyes is cherishing time spent around the dinner table with family and friends with its Next Day Cajun Turkey Recipe for even more memories shared."
Next Day Recipe: Popeyes Cajun-Fried Turkey and Sausage Jambalaya
Yield: 9 1 1/2–cup servings per recipe
- ½ cup peanut oil
- ¾ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 6 ribs celery, diced
- ½ teaspoon red cayenne pepper
- 4 medium or large onions, diced
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 large bell pepper, diced
- 1 pound sliced sausage
- 1 bunch green onion, chopped
- 1 ½ tablespoons paprika
- 3 tablespoons garlic, chopped
- 1 pound leftover turkey, diced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 quarts turkey stock
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 quart rice
Preparing Turkey Stock:
- Place turkey bones from Cajun-Fried Turkey into a large stock pot, and cover with 3 quarts water.
- If available, toss in 3 celery ribs, 2 quartered onions (peel included), and 1 ½ tablespoons garlic. Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat, allow to cool, and strain.
- Reserve 2 quarts of stock for Jambalaya recipe and discard remainder.
- Dice onions, bell pepper, and celery.
- Measure peanut oil into stock pot, and heat on medium-high heat.
- Add celery, and sauté 3 minutes. As oil reheats, add green peppers and sauté for 3 additional minutes.
- Add sliced sausage and all seasonings. Continue to sauté.
- Add turkey, rice, and turkey stock to pot and stir.
- Cover and reduce heat to simmer for 25 minutes.
Food & Beverage
Thank you for signing up to receive QSR's flagship e-newsletter, A.M. Jolt. To help us better serve the information needs of our audience, please complete the information below.
In addition to A.M. Jolt, we also offer the following e-newsletters and communications. Please mark those you would like to receive.
- Business Services
- Cleaning & Sanitation
- Computer Systems/Software
- Dispensing Equipment
- Disposables, Packaging, Plastics
- Equipment Installation/Repair
- Financial Products/Services
- Food Products
- Franchise Opportunities
- Kitchen Equipment
- Safety Services/Products
- Security Systems