Industry News | July 22, 2013
Sara Lee Introduces Healthier Products for Schools
Sara Lee Foodservice, a division of The Hillshire Brands Company, introduced an enhanced product portfolio for the kindergarten through 12th grade education sector, focusing on turkey items for both breakfast and lunch. In addition, Sara Lee Foodservice will now participate in the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) Commodity Food Distribution Program that enables schools to purchase items at reduced prices.
“Sara Lee Foodservice is committed to supporting school meals and our wide variety of products provide nourishing, kid-friendly protein options to help develop healthy minds and bodies,” says Kathleen Novak, registered dietitian, The Hillshire Brands Company. “This is a significant step forward as we work to build a comprehensive offering to meet the unique needs of school foodservice.”
The new products include:
· Briar Street Market Turkey Chili
· Briar Street Market Turkey with Gravy
· Briar Street Market Turkey Sloppy Joe Meat
· Briar Street Market Turkey Spaghetti Sauce
· Briar Street Market Turkey Taco Filling
· Briar Street Market Diced Turkey Breast Meat
In addition to being available through the Sara Lee Foodservice broker network, the products are available through partnership with the USDA Commodity Food Distribution Program in select states.
“We are looking forward to the opportunity to work in partnership with the USDA to provide additional value to our school customers,” says Jennifer McDavid, manager of customer marketing, Sara Lee Foodservice.
Sara Lee Foodservice plans to continue working on innovations for their K-12 product portfolio by creating and implementing a rich pipeline of new concepts for school meals in the coming years.
A new website geared to school cafeteria professionals will launch this summer with recipes, product details on meal pattern equivalent information, nutrition specifications, and child nutrition and whole grain indicators, and additional information on the Sara Lee’s participation in the USDA Commodity Food Distribution Program.
Sara Lee Foodservice also offers the following additional existing products:
· Briar Street Market Turkey Franks
· Hillshire Farm Sliced Lower Sodium Oven Roasted
· Hillshire Farm Sliced Lower Sodium Honey Roasted Turkey Breast
· Jimmy Dean Turkey Sausage Patties
· Jimmy Dean Country Sage Turkey Sausage Patties
· State Fair Whole Grain Turkey Corn Dog
· Sara Lee Lower Sodium Over Roasted Turkey Breast
The K-12 product portfolio also includes individually wrapped whole grain blueberry, banana, and double chocolate muffins.
Food & Beverage