Smashburger, the expanding better burger restaurant, on June 27 celebrated its fifth anniversary since first introducing its smashed fresh, served delicious burgers to consumers in the United States.
Following the grand opening of its first restaurant location in Denver in 2007, the company has quickly captured the passion of burger lovers nationwide, with 160 successful restaurant openings to date.
“Today’s five-year anniversary marks a significant milestone and accomplishment for Smashburger, demonstrating the consumer demand for our brand,” says Dave Prokupek, chairman and CEO of Smashburger. “This is a humbling and proud day here at Smashburger and I’d like to extend a heartfelt thank you to our SmashFans who continue to support the brand, and to our team members, franchisees, and partners who work hard every day to ensure that we live up to our customers’ expectations for a better burger, innovative sides and menu variety.“
The company also announced the addition of six new franchise partners, totaling a combined commitment for 44 new franchise units across the country. These most recent franchise agreements bring Smashburger’s total franchise pipeline to 507 locations, which are expected to open over the course of the next several years. These new commitments will also allow Smashburger to make its debut in five new markets, further expanding its growing national footprint.
“We still have plenty of room to grow in the U.S. and have just started capitalizing on the opportunity to expand internationally,” says Prokupek. “We are very pleased to welcome a new group of experienced franchisees to the Smashburger family and are excited to partner with these passionate restaurant operators to introduce, develop, and grow our brand in new markets across the United States.”
Each of Smashburger’s six new franchise partners possesses deep restaurant operations and management experience. Smashburger is pleased to announce its partnership with the following franchisees to introduce the brand’s smashed burgers and sizzling menu offering in the following markets:
- Salt Lake City Airport – Smashburger has partnered with HMSHost, the world’s largest provider of food, beverage, and retail services for travelers, to open a restaurant at Salt Lake City Airport in July 2012.
- Wilmington, Delaware – Smashburger has partnered with John Laursen of Sizzle DE, LLC to open four restaurants over the next several years.
- Columbia, South Carolina – Smashburger has partnered with Steven Taylor of CSC Seven to open three restaurants over the next several years. Taylor is also a franchisee of Moe’s Southwest Grill.
- Staten Island, New York, and Southern New Jersey – Smashburger has partnered with Anthony Pellizzi of MultiBrands SB Inc. to open eight restaurants. Pellizzi is also a franchise owner of Dunkin Donuts, Baskin Robbins, and Pollo Campero.
- Boston –Smashburger has partnered with Robert Savin of Savin Burgers to open 12 restaurants over the next several years.
- Philadelphia – Smashburger has partnered with a group lead by Dan O’Shaughnessy of SB Philly LLC to open 17 restaurants over the next several years.
Smashburger is on track to open 60 restaurants in 2012, putting its year-end target at more than 200 units. Its restaurants are half company-owned and half franchised.
International expansion will also continue to be an important part of Smashburger’s strategy for continued growth as the restaurant operator aims to become the No. 1 global better burger brand. The company is also actively seeking franchise partners to develop and grow the brand in Los Angeles, Chicago, Boston, Orlando, Portland, Seattle, and throughout Canada.