Industry News | April 26, 2013
Smashburger Grows Nontraditional Presence
Smashburger, the rapidly expanding better-burger restaurant concept, is pleased to announce the addition of three new franchise partnerships for airport locations in Dallas, Texas; Philadelphia; and San Jose, Costa Rica, accelerating the company’s growth in nontraditional locations.
Smashburger has partnered with the following seasoned franchisees to introduce the brand’s smashed burgers and sizzling menu offerings to travelers at the following venues:
- Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport: Smashburger has partnered with Roz Mallet of PhaseNext Hospitality to open a Smashburger location at Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport, Terminal B, in early 2014. Mallet is a Smashburger franchisee with a restaurant location on Fort Bliss, and is also a franchise owner for Buffalo Wild Wings and Corner Bakery Café.
- Philadelphia International Airport:Smashburger has partnered with Irfan Mandani of New York Ice Cream Inc. to open a location at Philadelphia International Airport, Terminal F, in summer 2013. Mandani is also a franchise owner for Peet’s Coffee & Tea, Jamba Juice, and Häagen-Dazs.
- Juan Santamaria International Airport: Smashburger has partnered with Richard Eisenberg of QSR International to open a new restaurant in the main terminal of Juan Santamaria International Airport in San Jose, Costa Rica, in Spring 2013. Eisenberg is a franchisee of Smashburger and is developing 18 units in Latin America. This restaurant will be the first international airport location for the brand. He is also a franchisee of the Quiznos, KFC, Cinnabon, and Teriyaki Experience brands.
Brett Willis, senior vice president of franchise sales for Smashburger, says, “Smashburger is a brand well positioned for travelers who are looking for a better-burger option and menu variety while they are on the go. Today’s travelers want speed and value but do not want to sacrifice on taste or quality. Smashburger fills that gap. We continue to explore opportunities to bring Smashburger’s fast-casual dining experience to airports, as well as food courts and college campuses across the U.S. and internationally.”
Smashburger first debuted its better-burger offering to airport travelers in 2011 with the opening of its Newark International Airport location in Terminal C, which is operated in partnership with local franchise owner Scott Gillman of Mascott Corporation.
Since then, the brand has also partnered with HMSHost to make the restaurant’s debut at Salt Lake City International Airport, Concourse D.
Dave Prokupek, chairman and CEO of Smashburger, adds “We have found that our airport locations serve as a great introduction to the brand and our food for consumers who may not have a Smashburger yet in their home cities. We are very pleased to add these three airports to our nontraditional portfolio. We look forward to continued growth in this sector.”
Food & Beverage
Thank you for signing up to receive QSR's flagship e-newsletter, A.M. Jolt. To help us better serve the information needs of our audience, please complete the information below.
In addition to A.M. Jolt, we also offer the following e-newsletters and communications. Please mark those you would like to receive.
- Business Services
- Cleaning & Sanitation
- Computer Systems/Software
- Dispensing Equipment
- Disposables, Packaging, Plastics
- Equipment Installation/Repair
- Financial Products/Services
- Food Products
- Franchise Opportunities
- Kitchen Equipment
- Safety Services/Products
- Security Systems