Industry News | January 26, 2012
Wingstop Sets Goal of 5.6 Million Wings for Super Sunday
This year the National Chicken Council projects more than 1.25 billion wings–or 100 million pounds–will be consumed during Super Bowl weekend.
And on Sunday, Feb. 5, more than 6,500 Wing Experts nationwide will join forces behind the counter at 500 Wingstop restaurants to sauce and toss 5.6 million wings.
Since Wingstop was founded almost 20 years ago, the company has seen a steady increase in Super Sunday business and expects 2012 sales will increase 12 percent over last year.
"Wings are becoming the go-to snack for Super Sunday parties," says Jim Flynn, Wingstop president and CEO. "The menu at a watching party has become almost as important as who wins the game. Our fans place orders weeks early, and Wingstop starts prepping for the big day months in advance."
Facts for Super Bowl Sunday:
- If Wingstop meets its one-day sales expectations, it will mark the 12th straight year the chain has set a sales record on Super Sunday.
- The most popular wing flavors on Super Sunday are Original Hot, Lemon Pepper, and Hickory Smoked BBQ, with Original Hot accounting for 31 percent of wing orders.
- Wingstop sales on Super Sunday are, on average, 290 percent more than the typical Sunday.
Wingstop encourages fans to order in advance and will accept online pre-orders for The Big Game through Wednesday, Feb. 1. And this year, ordering wings is just a few taps away: fans can now order on the Wingstop app, available for download on the iPhone and Android.
Food & Beverage
Thank you for signing up to receive QSR's flagship e-newsletter, A.M. Jolt. To help us better serve the information needs of our audience, please complete the information below.
In addition to A.M. Jolt, we also offer the following e-newsletters and communications. Please mark those you would like to receive.
- Business Services
- Cleaning & Sanitation
- Computer Systems/Software
- Dispensing Equipment
- Disposables, Packaging, Plastics
- Equipment Installation/Repair
- Financial Products/Services
- Food Products
- Franchise Opportunities
- Kitchen Equipment
- Safety Services/Products
- Security Systems