On October 5, Jersey Mike’s Subs nationwide will be in the pink and ready to celebrate “Mike’s Way to a Cure Day,” benefiting Susan G. Komen for the Cure. The date was chosen as the start to the final month of the “Mike’s Way to a Cure” six-month fundraising and awareness-building campaign, which falls in Breast Cancer Awareness Month. On that day, Jersey Mike’s restaurants throughout the country will donate a portion of proceeds  to the cause for individual market information.
“Virtually everyone has been touched by breast cancer in some way, and there is still so much we can collectively do to help hard-working organizations like Susan G. Komen fund research and find a cure,” says Peter Cancro, Jersey Mike’s founder and CEO. “The response from our customers has been outstanding – they have shared their stories and supported our efforts on many levels – and it looks like this will be our biggest fundraiser ever.”
The multi-faceted “Mike’s Way to a Cure” initiative began in May and Jersey Mike’s locations throughout the nation have been raising funds and awareness for breast cancer ever since in many different ways:
- Specially branded plastic cups have been available as part of a “Pink Ribbon Combo” or as an individual fountain drink sale with 70 cents going to Susan G. Komen for the Cure
- Locations are accepting donations from customers in-store
- “Mike’s Way to a Cure” T-shirts are available, with 100 percent of sales donated to Komen
- Special pink Susan G. Komen for the Cure sub wrapping paper and To Go bags have been created to build awareness with consumers
- Jersey Mike’s team members throughout the country are participating in or supporting Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure events in their communities.
“Jersey Mike’s partnership creates much needed awareness for breast cancer through their restaurants around the country, while raising funds for life-saving national research and educational programs,” says Margo K. Lucero, vice president of business development and partnerships, Susan G. Komen for the Cure. “We’re delighted to partner with an organization known for giving back to its communities.”
This has been a year of milestones for the popular East Coast-style sub franchise, which is celebrating its 55th anniversary this year. In March, the company raised more than $600,000 for 66 local charities during its Month of Giving campaign. “Giving – making a difference in someone’s life” has been a founding principle of the company from the very beginning. In October, the company will open its 500th location in its 30th state: Louisiana.