“Burger King Corp. has been taking positive steps in the nutrition arena for some time, initially as the only restaurant in the industry to offer a veggie burger and now with a new Kids Meal that boasts an exceptional nutrition profile,” says Russ Klein, president, global strategy, marketing, and innovation, Burger King Corp. “The BK Positive Steps nutrition program formalizes our nutrition efforts and demonstrates our commitment to evaluating, step by step, ways to help customers live and eat better.”
The new Kids Meal containing KRAFT Macaroni & Cheese, BK Fresh Apple Fries with low-fat caramel dipping sauce, and HERSHEY'S 1 percent Low Fat White Milk satisfies parents’ demands for nutrition and convenience and kids’ appetites for fun and great-tasting food. The Kids Meal will be available in the U.S. as a permanent menu item beginning June 30 for a suggested retail price of $3.49.
• The new Kids Meal provides 350 total calories with less than 25 percent of calories from fat and 9 percent from saturated fat. It also provides servings from three unique food groups in USDA’s MyPyramid: Milk, Grains, and Fruit.
• BK Fresh Apple Fries are fresh-cut, skinless red apples sliced to resemble real fries–a hallmark of Burger King Corp.’s innovative appeal. The 2-ounce serving provides 25 calories and 1 gram of fiber, while the low-fat caramel dipping sauce provides 35 calories.
• A menu item exclusive to BURGER KING restaurants, the 4-ounce serving of KRAFT Macaroni & Cheese is a kid-tested favorite that provides 180 calories and is a good source of calcium and vitamin D (10 percent daily value of each).
• The 8-ounce serving of HERSHEY'S 1 percent Low Fat White Milk provides 110 calories and is an excellent source of calcium and vitamin D (30 percent daily value and 24 percent daily value, respectively).
The new Kids Meal meets the strict nutritional guidelines that Burger King Corp. developed as part of its health and nutrition initiative, BK Positive Steps. The program supports all of Burger King Corp.’s ongoing efforts to promote balanced diets and active lifestyle choices. The BK Positive Steps nutrition program includes the following:
• As the 12th food marketer to join the Council of Better Business Bureau’s Children’s Food and Beverage Advertising Initiative on Sept. 12, 2007, Burger King Corp. aggressively pledged to restrict 100 percent of national advertising aimed at children under 12 to Kids Meals meeting its new Nutrition Criteria by Dec. 31, 2008.
• Burger King Corp. also recently partnered with USDA to promote the important messages of MyPyramid. Through its HAVE IT YOUR WAY with MyPyramid program, Burger King Corp. will promote MyPyramid messages in nutrition marketing and education materials to kids, moms, and other nutritional gatekeepers. Burger King Corp. will also increase MyPyramid information on its Web site to promote how customizable Kids Meal options can help children meet MyPyramid recommendations.
• In addition, Burger King Corp. has developed a Global Health Statement, U.S. Health Statement, and Guiding Principles for Childhood Nutrition, outlining its current childhood nutrition priorities and actions. These documents can be found online at www.bk.com.
• Moving forward, Burger King Corp. will continue its aggressive timeline dedicated to product innovation and development to increase nutritionally balanced options for consumers.
In response to Burger King Corp.’s announcement, Elaine Kolish, director, CBBB Children’s Food and Beverage Advertising Initiative says, “By complying with the pledge a full six months before its implementation date, Burger King Corp. is truly demonstrating their commitment to taking positive, proactive action. I applaud their efforts.”
Burger King Corp. will be a co-presenting sponsor of the "Burning Up Tour," which is being produced by Live Nation and is slated to hit 41 cities across North America. The agreement gives Burger King Corp. the opportunity to showcase its commitment to helping children eat and live better by offering Jonas Brothers’ fans samples of its new BK™ Fresh Apple Fries, giving away tickets, and offering some lucky fans meet-and-greets with the hot superstar rockers.
Beginning on July 7, Burger King Corp. will give fans special online access to the summer tour, including ticketing and venue information and behind-the-scenes sneak peeks and sweepstakes opportunities at www.BKJonasBrothers.com.
Also this summer, in conjunction with the DVD release of the newest Pokémon movie, a series of 12 Pokémon toys will be available in Kids Meals for four weeks starting July 7. The toys, which come with an official Pokémon trading card, feature a variety of Pokémon characters and double as card displays, frames, and caddies for the trading cards. One toy accompanies each purchase of a BURGER KING Kids Meal at participating BURGER KING restaurants while supplies last.
Additionally, a new Club BK Web site will launch in early July, giving kids and preteens access to interactive and age-appropriate games that sharpen skills and feature Burger King Corp. partner properties, such as Pokémon. Site visitors who obtain their parent’s permission and register at www.ClubBK.com can navigate the virtual world of games and accumulate points.
The launch of the new Kids Meal is supported by a large-scale marketing campaign, including in-restaurant merchandising and a series of television advertising spots. The first spot, airing July 7, will mark the national television debut of the “Little King” character, the young son of the famous Burger King Corp. brand icon. In a second, animated spot, slated to air on July 21, an apple explodes into BK Fresh Apple Fries after running into a slicer, and a macaroni noodle is transformed into KRAFT Macaroni & Cheese.
In addition, Burger King Corp. will distribute free samples of BK Fresh Apple Fries in select markets across the country starting in July. Consumers in New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Miami, and Houston will get a taste of the new product when branded apple carts appear at community events and public parks throughout the summer.
The five times weekly e-newsletter that keeps you up-to-date on the latest industry news and additions to this website.