In 2009, Natasha Case had a vision. As an architecture student, she had the idea of intersecting food and architecture for one of her thesis projects. After meeting Freya Estreller, the two purchased a beat-up postal van on Craigslist and set out to the Coachella Music Festival with a truck full of handmade cookies and gourmet ice cream. Five years later, Coolhaus has gone from one food truck to being sold in more than 2,000 locations across the country, with a fleet of 10 trucks in 4 cities, a cart in Central Park, New Yorkm and 2 brick-and-mortar stores.
To celebrate five years of success, Coolhaus will host a party at The Unique Space in Downtown Los Angeles from 8:00 p.m. to midnight on May 2. The party, sponsored in part by Dwell magazine, Eater, and How About We, will feature live music by local breakout band De Lux and Paul Tao of IAMSOUND records, an open bar with craft cocktails and beer floats, local food fare, and Coolhaus ice cream and ice cream sandwiches. A percentage of ticket sales will be donated to 9 Dots, an afterschool program for underserved students that co-founder Freya Estreller volunteers at weekly.
"It has been an amazing journey the last few years and we are just getting started. We wanted to produce a fun night where our friends and fans could help celebrate with us and raise money for a good cause at the same time." says Natasha Case.
Each ticket includes:
- A pre-ordered copy of the "Coolhaus Ice Cream Book" (mailed May 20)
- Pizzanista! pizza & fried chicken from Free Range LA
- Open bar by Pernod Ricard featuring Jameson, Beefeater, Avion Tequila, Kahlua, Malibu Rum
- Craft beer ice cream floats by Golden Road Brewery
- Cocktail Jelly Shots by Ludlows Cocktail Co.
- Gift bag with Coolhaus mason jar, Dry Soda, Purity Organics, Herbal Zap, Cocomels, and Mountain Valley Spring Water