Jersey Mike’s Subs, known for its authentic fresh sliced/fresh grilled subs, recognized exemplary team members last week at its National Conference in Orlando. More than 1,000 franchise owners, managers, and others gathered to celebrate the company's 60th anniversary, while gaining inspiration and education.
“If we take a moment to reflect back, I am proud of adding to an existing legacy: serving Mike’s/Jersey Mike’s for 45 years,” says founder and CEO Peter Cancro, who bought the original Mike’s Subs at age 17. “Very few restaurant companies are able to cross the 1,000 store mark and we are here because of our tremendous franchise owners, operators and other team members.”
Cancro along with Hoyt Jones, president, and Michael Manzo, COO, presented awards, including the following:
- Manager of the Year - Kyanna Isaacson. Isaacson started working at Jersey Mike’s in 2008 when she was just 16 years old. She now manages the Stevenson Ranch, California, location and looks forward to being a franchise owner.
- The Rookie - Jim Sirotnak. After working as a dentist for 25 years, Sirotnak sold his practice and joined Jersey Mike’s. He now owns three thriving locations in Pennsylvania.
- Multiunit Operator of the Year - Chris Brown. A Jersey Mike’s franchisee since 2008, Brown now owns 25 locations in Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, and Tennessee.
- President’s Award - Alvaro Garcia. Garcia moved to the U.S. from Nicaragua at age 16 and began his foodservice career in 1991 as a Domino’s delivery driver. In the last five years, Alvaro has opened 34 Jersey Mike’s sub shops in the greater Los Angeles area with plans to continue growing.
- Franchisee of the Year - Bob Middleton, Bill Biga, and Carl Chandler of Sharing the Bread Inc. This Jersey Mike’s franchise team has opened 11 restaurants in Michigan, with more to come. In addition to winning Jersey Mike’s Franchisee of the Year, the team was named Michigan Franchisee of the Year and received a Regional Excellence Award.