Beginning March 22, U.S. Starbucks stores will serve a hearty steak wrap for lunch or dinner, bringing new treats to the pastry case and highlighting a broader selection of packaged snacks.
When Melodie Beal and team began work on the new wrap for Starbucks, they wanted to feature a bold flavor that would resonate with customers across the country.
“We wanted to include a lean meat in the wrap and thought that steak could be a nice complement to our wraps with chicken,” says Beal, who was a private chef for 16 years before joining Starbucks as a product development manager. “When we decided on a tender steak similar to what you would find in a fajita, our next idea was to make the wrap Southwestern-style for broad appeal.”
Starbucks’ new Southwest-Style Steak Wrap is made with grilled fajita steak tossed in a chimichurri sauce with fire roasted corn, peppers, jicama, lettuce, and a black bean spread in a sweet potato tortilla. The wrap is paired with a creamy chipotle sauce and blue corn chips.
In addition to flavor, the team focused on creating a wrap that satisfies as a small meal. “Protein is key,” Beal says. “A food option often translates as a meal for customers when it includes protein.”
The team wanted to develop a wrap that could be enjoyed anywhere at any time.
"We considered the different scenarios where our customers might eat a wrap such as a lunch meeting, in the car, or, now that the weather is warming up, outside on a bench or at a picnic,” she says. “We want our customers to feel comfortable eating the wrap wherever they are.”
Also available in Starbucks stores this spring is a collection of new pastries and cakes for those looking for something sweet with morning coffee or an afternoon treat:
· Chocolate Marble Loaf Cake: A pound cake with swirls of vanilla and chocolate topped with a chocolate fudge icing.
· Chocolate Chunk Muffin: Made with three single-origin Colombian chocolates, this muffin pairs well with coffee.
· Apple Fritter: A classic fritter made with Rome apples, a hint of cinnamon, and fried to a golden brown.
· Cinnamon Raisin Bagel: Lightly flavored with cinnamon swirled throughout the dough and an abundance of raisins for added sweetness.
Starbucks continues to add to its snack collection with products from a variety of brands, including some that are vegan or gluten-free:
· Torie & Howard Chewie Fruities: With fresh-off-the-vine flavors, Torie & Howard use sophisticated, epicurean recipes made with organic ingredients. Three flavors are available in multi-serve bags: Blood Orange & Honey, Meyer Lemon & Raspberry, and Pomegranate & Nectarine.
· Buck Wild Snacks: Buck Wild delivers a balance of bold snacks with ingredients customers can feel good about eating. They are available in four flavors: Chocolate Banana Snack Mix, Honey BBQ Snack Mix, Jalapeno Jack Tortilla Chip, and Roasted Tomato Herb Tortilla Chip.
· Chuao Chocolatier: Creative flavor combinations are at the heart of Chuao Chocolatier’s decadent chocolate experience. It is available in three flavors: the Favorites Collection, Potato Chip Bar, and Ravishing Rocky Road Bar.