Recommended For You
Wingstop announced that same-store sales for the first quarter are up 10.5 percent over the same quarter last year. The chain, with more than 500 units, has now experienced positive comp sales for more than eight consecutive years.
In addition to double digit comp sales increases, Wingstop signed franchise agreements that will result in 58 new locations in the U.S., a new first quarter record for the company.
The development agreements will result in multiple locations in Detroit; Philadelphia, Bethlehem, and Allentown, Pennsylvania; Lexington and Columbia, South Carolina; Metairie, Louisiana; Savannah, Georgia; Phoenix; and Hawaii.
“We are coming off one of our most successful quarters in the company’s history,” says Jim Flynn, Wingstop president and CEO. “A sales increase into the double digits is a huge milestone for our brand. We credit new partnerships with experienced franchisees, newly implemented social media programs, and an increased focus on local store marketing efforts within our communities.”
The company was also recently listed as a Top 10 Facebook growth brand on the Restaurant Social Media Index.
To date, Wingstop has opened eight restaurants this year, and plans to open 17 to 20 locations in the second quarter. The company acknowledges its numerous marketing, operations, and social media programs and product launches for the recent sales surge, including:
- Introduction of the Wingstop phone app, now available on the iPhone and Android. Since the launch of the app, online sales have risen to 5 percent of overall sales.
- Partnerships with professional and college athletic programs and professional athletes.
- Formation of co-ops in core markets, and increased local store marketing programs in developing markets.
- Introduction of a new mystery shop program, which features a heightened focus on store operations, training, and quality service control.
- Launch of Louisiana Rub, which, thanks to its popularity among guests, is now a permanent addition to the Wingstop menu.
- Increased social media presence, including the company’s first Twitter campaign, which tripled the number of @Wingstop followers.