U.S. Swimmer Jenny Thompson is the first Olympian from the Sydney 2000 Games to be featured in McDonald’s “Olympic Smiles” commercial which features historic smiling moments from some of America’s most celebrated Olympians. Footage of Thompson after she won a gold medal in the women’s 4×100 freestyle relay has been added to the current commercial which celebrates the Olympic Spirit and uses the recently introduced, “We Love to See You Smile(TM)” theme.
The commercial, created by DDB Chicago, first aired on networks, cable, and syndicated programming in early September and will air solely on NBC throughout the remainder of the Games. Plans call for the spot to be updated throughout the Games with new Olympic smile moments from the athletes competing in Sydney such as the segment featuring Thompson.
Olympians featured in the “Olympic Smiles” commercial include (in order
- Greg Louganis – Gold Medalist, Diving, Seoul, 1988
- Jenny Thompson – Gold Medalist, Swimming, Sydney 2000
- Mary Lou Retton – Gold Medalist, Gymnastics, Los Angeles, 1984
- Otis Davis – Gold Medalist, Track & Field, Rome, 1960
- Bruce Jenner – Gold Medalist, Track & Field, Montreal, 1976
- Michael Johnson – Gold Medalist, Track & Field, Atlanta, 1996