The Culinary Institute of America will celebrate women chefs and restaurateurs at the 2015 Augie Awards leadership dinner. The event will take place on Thursday, April 30, at the American Museum of Natural History on New York City's Upper West Side. Funds raised through ticket sales, sponsorships, and an online auction support scholarships for CIA students.
The CIA was founded by two dynamic women, Frances Roth and Katherine Angell, who opened the school to train returning World War II veterans in the culinary arts. Today, half of the college's student population is female. Dr. Tim Ryan, CIA president says, "We are very proud to honor seven extraordinary women who are highly acclaimed innovators and role models. Our honorees have each blended their extraordinary creative talents with business acumen to become leaders in our industry and beyond."
Created in tribute to famed French chef Auguste Escoffier, the Augie Awards celebrate success and achievement of the foodservice industry's best chefs, visionaries, and entrepreneurs. The life's work of each of this year's honorees embodies leadership, strength, determination, vision, and innovation. The 2015 recipients are:
• Elena Arzak: chef and co-owner of the #8 restaurant in the world. Restaurant Arzak (San Sebastián, Spain)
• Lidia Bastianich: chef, restaurateur, author, philanthropist, and television personality. Tavola Productions (New York, New York)
• Dominique Crenn: the first woman in America to receive two stars in the legendary Michelin Guide. Atelier Crenn (San Francisco, California)
• Susan Feniger '77: chef, restaurateur, philanthropist, TV personality, author; winner of the California Restaurant Lifetime Achievement Award. Border Grill, Mud Hen Tavern and others (Los Angeles, California)
• Barbara Lynch: chef, restaurateur, philanthropist, author, Grand Chef Relais et Châteaux, James Beard Foundation Outstanding Restaurateur 2014. Barbara Lynch Gruppo (Boston, Massachusetts)
• Anne-Sophie Pic: chef, restaurateur; took over her father's restaurant with no culinary training and regained its third Michelin star. Maison Pic (Valence, France)
• Nancy Silverton: baker, chef, entrepreneur, educator. James Beard Foundation's Chef of the Year 2014. Mozza Restaurant Group (Los Angeles, California)
Throughout the evening, the audience of 600 foodservice business leaders, celebrated chefs, culinary entrepreneurs, and CIA supporters from all sectors will hear more about women in the industry from Dr. Ryan, the Augie recipients, special guests, and dozens of CIA students who will assist during the event.
The five times weekly e-newsletter that keeps you up-to-date on the latest industry news and additions to this website.