For National Donut Day 2019, Dunkin’ is declaring that a day for donuts is a day for America by rallying everyone to “Dunk Out” with a donut and enjoy a little more “me time” during their day. On National Donut Day, Friday, June 7, Dunkin’ is offering guests a free classic donut of their choice with the purchase of any beverage.
Guests can enjoy classic donut favorites including Boston Kreme, Glazed, Glazed Chocolate, Strawberry Frosted with Sprinkles and more.
According to Dunkin’ U.S. Chief Marketing Officer Tony Weisman, “Donuts are part of the American story and hold a special place in our popular culture, so we believe a day for donuts is a day for America. This National Donut Day, we encourage Americans to take a moment to ‘Dunk Out,’ recharge and enjoy their favorite donut variety at Dunkin’.”
As America readies for its day for donuts and a chance to “Dunk Out,” Dunkin’ partnered with Toluna, a leading provider of on demand consumer insights, to conduct a survey of more than 1,000 Americans for a look at the country’s current preferences for and perceptions of this treat:
- What part of the day would people most like take a break, perhaps with a donut? Checking and answering emails tops the list, followed by watching the kids, personal finances and awkward small talk with colleagues.
- With whom would you most want to share a donut? 34 percent selected their spouse or significant other, while 32 percent went for the munchkins by choosing children. Additionally, 11 percent actually said “it’s mine, all mine” and wouldn’t share a donut with anyone.
- Is it ever okay to cut a donut in half, leaving part behind? Two-thirds (66 percent) of respondents said yes, sharing is caring.
- Donuts (22 percent), pizza (19 percent) and ice cream (15 percent) topped the list as the favorite foods for Americans to post or see on Instagram.
- 57 percent say it’s spelled “donut,” and 43 percent say it’s “doughnut.”
National Donut Day was originally established in 1938 by the Chicago Salvation Army to honor women who served donuts to soldiers during World War I. The holiday is traditionally celebrated on the first Friday of June. Dunkin' has been serving guests signature donuts for nearly 70 years.
Dunkin’ sells more than 3.1 billion donuts and Munchkins donut hole treats annually worldwide.The company has more than 12,900 restaurants in 43 countries worldwide. Based in Canton, Mass., Dunkin' is part of the Dunkin' Brands Group, Inc. (Nasdaq: DNKN) family of companies.
This survey was conducted online May 15 through May 20, 2019 among a representative sample of 1078 US adults 18 years old or older by Toluna under the guidance of RF|Binder’s research team. The results are nationally representative according to the US Census Bureau statistics to accurately reflect the region of the US general population.