DD Perks is a purchase-based program: customers receive five points for every dollar they spend. Using the Dunkin’ app, customers can earn, monitor, and redeem points, order up to 24 hours in advance, customize their orders, pay, send gift cards, and save favorites.
Actions to reward customers for
There are plenty of actions that you can reward your customers for:
- Signing up for your loyalty program
- Purchasing at your restaurant
- Giving feedback
- Referring a friend
- Following you on social media
- Sharing content on social media
- Having a birthday
- Placing a mobile order
- Making a mobile payment
- Ordering in advance
- Completing challenges and tasks
Functionality to include in a loyalty program app
We’ve analyzed the top restaurant apps and outlined the features they have in common: rewards, the ability to order in advance, options to customize orders, and payment functionality.
- Rewards. Customers should be able to earn, track, and redeem points. Make sure you clearly define what activities you’ll reward and how many points customers will get for completing particular actions. You can also offer customers to complete special challenges to earn bonus points. This will encourage them to actively engage in your loyalty program.
- Ability to order in advance. Customers will definitely appreciate the opportunity to skip the line, instead placing an order and picking it up when they want. According to the Mobile Checkout Benchmark Report, on-the-go ordering will have an additive effect on the fast food industry. Mobile ordering apps turn out to improve customer loyalty, increase the average order size, and boost order frequency through easier checkout and order customization. To reduce wait times and lines, streamline your service operations, and save time on taking orders, consider adopting self-service kiosks or table ordering systems. Guests who are in a hurry and have no time to order on the go will appreciate the possibility to order and pay on their own and get their food faster than they would if they ordered with a waiter.
- Order customization. Customers should be able to customize dishes by removing and adding ingredients.
- Payments. Fast and smooth payments is a must for a custom restaurant app. There are quite a lot of payment gateways to choose from, including Stripe, Braintree, and PayPal. For in-restaurant payments, allow customers to pay using QR codes.
There are also some nice-to-have features that can be relevant for your loyalty program app or that you may want to add later:
- Blog. You can share breaking stories and the latest news from your company on your blog. Customers may share your content on social networks if they find it useful. This is a great way to market your restaurant.
- Geolocation-based search allows customers to find your restaurant. This functionality is especially great for restaurant chains.
- Push notifications can notify customers about special deals and happy hours.
- Social media integration enables customers to connect their social media accounts with their loyalty profiles.
- Ratings and feedback lets you receive customer reviews about your service, menu, and app.
Useful tips on how to run a successful restaurant loyalty program
If designed properly, a loyalty app can be a powerful tool for delivering excellent customer service and turning your guests into repeat customers. Below are some useful tips for creating and running a successful program.
1. Provide personalization. Giving rewards isn’t enough. Show customers you care by providing meaningful value for each of them. For example, offer your regulars special deals on their favorite menu items or offer them for free. Make your service more personal and you’ll see how it helps you grow your business and increase retention.
2. Keep the loyalty program simple and accessible. Do you remember Starbucks’ story? They changed their loyalty system to make it simpler and less confusing. Build a loyalty program that’s easy to understand so customers don’t give up on it.
3. Listen to your customers. Customer loyalty increases when customers realize you care about their feedback and take it into account. Additionally, by letting customers share their experiences and thoughts about your restaurant, app, and menu, you’ll learn how to improve your service and direct your loyalty strategy.
Slava Ponomarov is the CEO at Steelkiwi and one of the 4City restaurant co-founders. Being involved in software development, he executed lots of projects on reducing restaurant costs and attracting new customers that delivered great results. He’s passionate about digitizing restaurant processes during last 4 years