In celebration of its eighth annual Free Tea Day, McAlister's Deli, a leading fast-casual chain, conducted a survey of more than 1,000 consumers, ages 18 to 64, across the U.S. to find out how much they love sweet tea, and the survey findings revealed that Americans’ love of sweet tea runs deep. In fact, 57 percent of respondents said they would rather give up chocolate than a glass of sweet tea. McAlister’s will honor their loyal fans and keep the tradition going on July 21 when guests who visit any of the participating locations for Free Tea Day will receive a free 32-ounce glass of McAlister’s Famous Tea. Additionally, the first 25 guests in line will receive a Free Tea Day t-shirt.
In celebration of Free Tea Day and to further acknowledge consumers’ love for a good cold drink, the brand has also announced an exclusive collaboration with
Red Brick, a leading Atlanta-based brewery, to create a sweet tea beer using McAlister’s Famous Sweet Tea, which will be available exclusively at Red Brick in Atlanta in late August.
“We’ve always known our Tea Freaks are die-hard sweet tea fans, but this survey was a unique and engaging way for us to connect with them and truly understand how much they love sweet tea,” says Rick Altizer, president of McAlister’s Deli. “We’re very excited to partner with Red Brick and work with another Atlanta-based company and celebrate our city’s passions for sweet tea and craft beer.”
Additional findings from the national survey revealed that Americans are not only serious about their sweet tea, but they have very specific ways they like to enjoy the perfect glass:
· More than half (69 percent) of respondents say a perfect glass of sweet tea is better than a good afternoon nap and 43% of respondents are willing to trade a cup of coffee for a glass of sweet tea.
· Almost half (48 percent) of respondents would drive at least three miles out of their way for a perfect glass of sweet tea.
· The majority of respondents (57 percent) prefer their sweet tea with lemon
· An overwhelming majority (93 percent) of respondents say sweet tea can be enjoyed year round, not just summer time.
· The Southeast is home to the most sweet tea lovers with 34 percent reporting enjoying a glass every day. The Southwest is a close runner up with 33 percent reporting daily sweet tea drinking, followed by the Northeast with 28 percent of daily sweet tea drinkers. Midwestern and Westerners tied for last place with 22 percent of local respondents reporting a daily sweet tea habit.
In addition to visiting a local McAlister’s to enjoy a cup of sweet tea on Free Tea Day, fans can join in on the fun by sharing their photos and videos showing why they are the Tea Freakiest and using the hashtag #FreeTeaDay2016 on Twitter and Instagram.
Tea Freaks in the Atlanta area are invited to join McAlister’s and Red Brick in a celebration of sweet tea, craft beer, and all things Atlanta on Saturday, August 27. From 11 a.m. to 5 p.m., Red Brick will be serving McAlister’s Famous Tea Beer accompanied by live music and complimentary light bites from McAlister’s. Tickets will be available for purchase at Red Brick Brewery on August 27 at 11 a.m. Red Brick Brewery is located at 2323 Defoor Hills Road, Atlanta, Georgia, 30318.
The five times weekly e-newsletter that keeps you up-to-date on the latest industry news and additions to this website.